Thanksgiving and naming service for a child.
- The service is short and simple, and takes place separately from the normal Sunday service, however it can be as part of a service.
- The Vicar asks God to bless the child and their parents. There are prayers and Bible readings and the words of the service say thank you to God for the child’s life.
- Friends or members of the family can act as ‘sponsors’ or ‘supporting friends’, promising to take and their care and wellbeing.
- This is different to a christining, in which a child is baptised with water, given a candle and has godparents.
There are different reasons why you might choose to have a Thanksgiving, for example:
- Your baby is just born and you’s like to celebrate this in church.
- Your baby may have been long-awaited and you want to say thank you for their birth.
- You have adopted a child into your family and you simply want to celebrate this with special words said by a vicar in church.
- You’d like to have the Thanksgiving service as well as a christening.
- You may have decided that now isn’t the right time to have your child baptised, but you’s still like to say thank you to God and ask for his blessing.
Whatever the reason our worship team will be delighted to talk to you about this service and when it could happen.
Please E-Mail the Vicar or telephone 01782618367